RAWSON HALL THE ROCKS
Rawson Hall is a State heritage listed item, built in 1904 in the Federation Free Style for use by the Methodist Church.
The brief was to adaptively re-use the building and convert it to an office space and a large display area.
The response was to restore and retain the original building plan; two levels of smaller rooms fronting the street, a grand central timber stair linking both levels and two public halls at the rear, one above the other.
A rooftop addition over these front rooms has been inserted behind the original parapet on the street.
The original Oregon timber trusses and steel tie beams in the upper hall space were revealed and the newly exposed ceiling lined with spotted gum. The trusses were strengthened to support a lightweight steel display mezzanine suspended by tie rods. The inserted mezzanine floor houses the mechanical services for the entire hall minimising intervention with the original fabric.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land on which we work, and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.